On Mar 18, 11:47
> [...]
> Instead, we should try to
> develop a set of good practices that make it easier to convert a ruby
> library into a "normal" Deb or RPM package. Much progress has already
> been done lately, and the last libraries I've packaged didn't use
> "require 'rubygems'" except in the test suite, so they did not require
> any patching.
[...]

Perhaps talking to the gemcutter people (http://rubygems.org/) to
bottleneck the Deb/RPM packaging needs would be productive? That's
supposed to be the source for gems now, so building in a hook that
does all the necessary tweaks for *nix packaging would tie Windows,
Mac OS, gems and Deb/RPM together at the source. Just a thought from
my tired ol' mind.

http://www.rubyinside.com/gemcutter-a-fast-and-easy-approach-to-ruby-gem-hosting-2281.html
http://www.rubyinside.com/gemcutter-is-the-new-official-default-rubygem-host-2659.html