On Mar 18, 2010, at 08:02, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 18/03/10 at 23:31 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> All of the standard libraries are meant to be
>> installed so you can count on having them.  By changing that =
decision,
>> Debian has made it so you can't count on having them and that changes
>> the rules of what you can do with Ruby.
>=20
> If, maybe, the Ruby community fixed the fact that it's illegal to load
> all of stdlib in the same process (because of OpenSSL vs GPL), we =
could
> consider including ssl and readline in the default lib pkg. However, I =
don't
> see how we will make Ruby depend on installing Tcl/Tk (because of the =
TK
> bindings), or Emacs (because of the ruby mode for emacs). Note that =
even
> ruby-full doesn't install the TK and elisp stuff.

Maybe Debian should switch to a non-GPL readline implementation for ruby =
as it's not illegal on OS X:

$ otool -L `gem which readline`
=
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/un=
iversal-darwin10.0/readline.bundle:
	=
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.1.d=
ylib (compatibility version 1.8.0, current version 1.8.7)
	/usr/lib/libedit.2.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current =
version 2.11.0)
	/usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib (compatibility version 5.4.0, =
current version 5.4.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current =
version 123.0.0)

(Ignoring compatibility problems between readline and editline, of =
course)=