On 19/03/10 at 04:30 +0900, Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
> Someone suggested, earlier, that we add ruby to a different branch of
> the debian sources. How about creating a separate tree for the gems,
> where the updating can be done more quickly than on the regular tree? Is
> that idea a no-go because of Debian policies (of which I am blissfully
> ignorance) ?

You could create an external repository with unofficial (as in: not in
Debian) packages that are built automatically from gems. I think that
this was actually already done (see http://www.debgem.com/), but I'm not
sure of the status of this project. There's nothing blocking anybody
from doing that.

However, those debs are likely not suitable to be directly integrated in
Debian. In Debian, we install Ruby libraries under /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
(with a migration to /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8 planned, but not done
yet, to avoid mixing the stdlib with third-party libs). Also, we make
sure that each package works, so an automated process is not going to
help us ;)
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas / nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |