On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Lucas Nussbaum
<lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> Apparently, the ruby core team is OK with the current situation, since
> apt-get install ruby1.9.1-full/ruby-full is advertised on
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/. You might want to educate your
> users to read the documentation.
>
> Also, I disagree that it's not our call to make. Most of the software
> shipped by Debian is split in seperate packages, and Ruby is the only
> case where I hear people complaining about such a minor issue.
>
> (Also note that the split predates me being involved in Ruby
> maintenance.)

Yes, it is. Let me be very clear in saying that the situation in the
last two years is, while far from ideal, significantly better than it
used to be. For that, let me say thank you. I disagree with you on a
number of things (including the fact that I think that Debian still
has a long way to go toward getting it right), but your maintenance is
appreciated and things are better than they used to be.

>> All of the standard libraries are meant to be
>> installed so you can count on having them. =A0By changing that decision,
>> Debian has made it so you can't count on having them and that changes
>> the rules of what you can do with Ruby.
> If, maybe, the Ruby community fixed the fact that it's illegal to load
> all of stdlib in the same process (because of OpenSSL vs GPL), we could
> consider including ssl and readline in the default lib pkg. However, I do=
n't
> see how we will make Ruby depend on installing Tcl/Tk (because of the TK
> bindings), or Emacs (because of the ruby mode for emacs). Note that even
> ruby-full doesn't install the TK and elisp stuff.

Please don't repeat this, because as I pointed out on ruby-core, it's
not true. it's not illegal to load libreadline and openssl in the same
process; it's illegal to ship software that contains both. Neither the
OpenSSL license nor the GNU GPL address use or incidental in-memory
copies, only distribution.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler =95 halostatue / gmail.com =95 austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/ =95 http://twitter.com/halostatue