On 19/03/10 at 01:01 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> >> You have lost the high ground in the civility argument.
> >
> > Why? What do you disagree with?
>
> I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with anything.  I was pointing out
> that you yourself have stopped being civil in the quoted comments
> above.

I disagree. I think that the following are true:
- changing APIs is not considered a big problem in the ruby community
- there are several versions of the interpreter being all widely used
  (ruby 1.8.6, 1.8.7, and to a lesser degree unfortunately, 1.9.X)
- other scripting languages don't have as many API problems as ruby
  (look at perl or python -- well, python has some for python 3.X)
- ruby has had several security issues over the past year. Every complex
  and famous software package has some, that's life. But managing
  security when you have several versions co-installed manually is
  harder than when you just have to 'apt-get upgrade'.

Note that I'm a Ruby fan, and also a ruby library developer. I'm the
original author for XMPP4R, for example. What I wrote above are just
*facts* about Ruby, not insults.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas / nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |