On 18/03/10 at 23:45 +0900, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> For example, we might need to run different versions of gems on the
> same machine for different applications.  We might run applications
> using different versions of Rails, again for example.  This is why
> gems has the unpack command and why Rails allows gems to be vendored.
> The base capability to have multiple versions of gems installed at the
> same time is key.  Gems which have been converted to (debian) packages
> lose this ability, I think.
>
> We might need to run multiple versions of Ruby on the same system,
> including 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.x  If the package maintainer views
> 1.8.6 and 1.8.7 as the same 'version' this is problematical.
>
> Rubyists have developed solutions like ruby switcher and rvm to deal
> with this requirement.

Note there are not many development communities that are proud of the
fact of having different, incompatible versions of the same software
being widely used at the same time.

Most other communities solve that by having more stable APIs and making
sure that their important software supports the latest API.

In Debian Squeeze (next Debian release), we ship (and support for
several years) ruby 1.8 (likely 1.8.249+some backports) and ruby 1.9.1
(maybe a prerelease of 1.9.2, but unlikely). It would be totally insane,
to, additionally, try to support several versions of the same libraries.
Of course, if you want to install many different Ruby and gems versions,
and then try to keep them in a sensible state wrt security issues (which
are not that uncommon in the ruby world), that's your choice.

> >> Also: don't let the unfriendly tone one often encounters on the internet
> >> get ya down. The medium itself seems to encourage that sort of thing...
> >
> > That's not a reason to consider it acceptable.
>
> True enough, OTOH, I've found it a lot easier to live on the
> inter-tubes if I develop a thick skin, and give everyone the benefit
> of the doubt that they are not actively trying to be uncivil, even if
> they express themselves in what I might perceive to be an uncivil
> fashion.

It's really to give the benefit of the doubt about civility to several
people on this list.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas / nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |