On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Lucas Nussbaum
<lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> OpenSSL doesn't have a lot of fans, because of its licence that prevents
> it from being linked to GPL software. Yes, it could be possible to ship
> openssl.so and readline.so in the same package, but then it would be
> harder to argue that Debian does enough to protect the linking of
> readline (GPLv2) with openssl. The situation would be much simpler if
> Ruby switched to GNU TLS, for example.

Your first sentence is incorrect; OpenSSL is both better known and
more widely used in the real world than GNU TLS is likely to ever be.
GNU TLS is preferred by people who have subscribed to the GNU
philosophy, which doesn't include everyone in the Ruby world, and
those of us who prefer OpenSSL see GNU TLS as a zany outlier created
by people who have nothing better to do with their time than to worry
about the attribution clause (I believe that's the part that makes GNU
software incompatible with OpenSSL licensing, since GNU believes that
attribution isn't necessary).

That said, if someone were to make an SSL/TLS layer for Ruby that
could reasonably replace the OpenSSL namespace and that both "require
'openssl'" and "require 'gnutls'" would satisfy, then I think we'd see
traction. Since this is apparently a problem for people who prefer GNU
TLS, I suggest that it is in their interest to do so.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler =95 halostatue / gmail.com =95 austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/ =95 http://twitter.com/halostatue