> Which parts of ruby which are currently split out would you like to see
> installed when the user installs ruby?

For me, the biggest surprise was discovering net/https.rb was missing
entirely, and wondering why on earth part of the ruby 'standard library'
had vanished. Eventually I found it had been separated out into
libopenssl-ruby.

It's also confusing that irb, ri, rdoc are missing by default.

I understand the logic, kind of. Maybe someone wants to build a tiny
system with ruby but without openssl (*).

Obviously it's not easy to know where to draw the line (should
installing ruby force installation of tcl/tk?), but I think the majority
of users are going to want net/https, readline and irb, and be surprised
if they are missing. There are few systems which won't have the openssl
and readline dependencies already present.

So I would also vote that 'ruby' be a meta-package to pull in the
complete set.

Regards,

Brian.

(*) A similar split exists in openwrt, which is explicitly targeted at
tiny systems. Indeed, they fragment it more so that you don't have to
install yaml or rexml if you don't want them.