On 18/03/10 at 13:36 +0900, Nick Brown wrote:
> Lucas: Thanks for maintaining the Ruby package in Ubuntu!
>
> Might I suggest that the package called "ruby" install the standard
> ruby, with everything? This would reduce confusion (and disapproving
> comments) very much.
>
> If you really think there is big demand for minimal ruby installs, go
> ahead and have a ruby-minimal package, too. But you should know that
> many people, especially newbies, are mislead by calling something "ruby"
> which is actually "partial-ruby".

Which parts of ruby which are currently split out would you like to see
installed when the user installs ruby? For example, ruby ships a ruby
emacs mode. Installing that would require adding a dependency on emacs,
which doesn't sound reasonable.

Anyway, I've just added the following packages to the list of packages
that are "suggested" when someone installs ruby: irb, rdoc, ri,
libopenssl-ruby, ruby-dev.
That doesn't mean that they are installed automatically when the user
installs "ruby", but the package manager will suggest to install those
packages too.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas / nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |