Hello everyone,

I'm new to Ruby and after trying to look through a ton of classes and
methods, I decided it would be best to ask some more seasoned
individuals for help.  I'm currently working on a project that
essentially deals with a relational DB in text format.  There is a
standard layout throughout a variety of text files and each of them have
corresponding information.  For example, if positions 10-17 is populated
with genderM in a file with .aaa extension, male should be written in
positions 30-34 in a file with .bbb extensions.  There can be multiple
lines, each relating to a different object.

After looking through the file and directory classes I can't find a
obvious way to code this.  How would I write/overwrite a specific
position number in a certain extension based on information from another
file?  I know to read the information I just use readlines and store the
position using something similar to textfile1[10,7] and that I can use
file.extname to get the extension, but beyond this I'm stuck.  I
apologize for the basic question, but I would greatly appreciate the
help.

Thanks!