--00032555e492264b710481e847b9

Hi!

I am trying to install Ruby1.9.1 under Ubuntu 9.10 - with gems. I can
"apt-get install ruby1.9.1", but I have often had trouble
mixing package managers and installing rubygems using apt-get so I usually
download it. I also see warnings on the 'net
that installing rubygems using apt-get is not recommended.

Contrary to http://ryanbigg.com/2009/01/ruby-191-rubygems-rails/, rubygems
does not come included with ruby1.9.1 on Ubuntu,
I suppose because it is packaged separately (perhaps wrongly?)

So what I have tried to do is install gems by running the setup.rb program
using ruby1.9.1. This seems to work, and I then
get a gem1.9.1 which I can use to install gems. But when I try to require
those gems, they seem to be missing:

$ gem1.9.1 list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

file-find (0.3.4)
sys-admin (1.5.2)
$ irb1.9.1
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
true
irb(main):002:0> require 'file/find'
LoadError: no such file to load -- file/find

so... should I be using apt-get?

--
Windows is a fitting punishment for those who choose it - I just wish I
didn't have to be punished along with them.

--00032555e492264b710481e847b9--