(1) It works with tsocks. I tested using irb without setting
SOCKS_SERVER and worked just fine:

16:58:54 libtsocks(12207): Call to connect received on completed request 3
=3D> #<Net::FTP:0x2aece22e5b90 @sock=3D#<TCPSocket:0x2aece22e5938>,
@passive=3Dfalse, .... >

(2) It doesnt show up in tcpdump. Actually, it seems that Net:::FTP
only creates a SOCKSSocket but doesn't use SOCKS_SERVER at all.

(3) Tried setting it using export and inside the script, doesnt work either=
 way.

(4) Yep, it is using the SOCKS flag.

(5) I've searched for a SOCKS5 package in debian but the only one i've
found is this libsocks4. I wonder if it supports SOCKS5 as well or do
i have to manually compile/install one.

Anyways, i'm just testing Net::FTP as it seems as the only one that
supports SOCKSSocket. I actually need to use SOCKS to do HTTP
requests. Would Net::SSH::Proxy::SOCKS help me with that?

Regards,

mksm