On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Amishera Amishera
<amishera2007 / gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some web page which contains accented words (in french/italian
> etc) which I need to parse/extract and display. But the
> internationalization is not being taken into consideration so crazy
> characters are being shown. I searched in google for ruby
> internationalization but came up with rails internationalization. As you
> know that I don't need rails right now (which btw, I have no knowledge
> in). I just need to work in plain ruby. I don't know how
> internationalization is dealt with in regular ruby. Can someone throw
> some light on this?

Easiest is to use Ruby 1.9 with Nokogiri for the HTML parsing.
Then all you need to do is converting from the original encoding to
your target encoding.
See also a nice introduction into the world of encodings by JEGII:
http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/understanding_m17n

--
Michael Fellinger
CTO, The Rubyists, LLC