> Why are you messing with the inherited STD handlers? Can't you
> redirect ffmpeg output to /dev/null using pipes?

Well STDIN.reopen is the line I isolated from inside the Daemons library
that appears to be wholly responsible for my issue. I have no need of it
personally except that I'm running DelayedJob, which is built on top of
Daemons.

I have managed to further isolate the issue to the second ffmpeg command
though. If I save the output of the first command (a log file with
metadata), and run the second command separately with and without
STDIN.reopen, I can reproduce the issue more succinctly.

Technically, I just don't understand the effect of STDIN.reopen well
enough to see how it could affect the ffmpeg command, or how I can work
around it all.