2010/3/10 G Brandon Hoyt <qrprat77 / gmail.com>:

> The reason why built-from-source ruby lives in /usr/local is because
> Ubuntu 'owns' the files in /usr/bin and /usr/lib.   > packages, these packages change.    쯪> so you are responsible for making sure they stay up to date, Ubuntu does
> not change them.
> source, you can't use the packages for ruby in Ubuntu.
> of what you need comes automatically when you build the code from source.

I couldn't agree more!  It is a very bad idea to try to install over
those versions provided by the package manager.  This is definitively
calling for trouble.  It's easier to stick with the installation in
/usr/local and adjust either shebang in scripts or create a few
symlinks in /usr - although I would be cautious with that already.

Alternative: get a package from another source, e.g. 1.9.1.378-1:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ruby1.9.1
http://packages.debian.org/sid/ruby1.9.1

or live with a tad older version 1.9.1.243-2:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/karmic/ruby1.9.1-full

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/