On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Aston <blackapache512-ticket / yahoo.com> wrote:
> recently few days back I saw some svn msgs suggesting that DL's dependency
> on libffi was removed, since libffi won't build on windoz (again!). so my
> question is will DL in future be based on libffi ? why just not use FFI. Its
> API and idea is very good and ruby like, against DL's idea of giving in C
> snippets to be interpreted by DL ?

Why not build DL atop FFI, and get FFI into Ruby 1.9.2?

JRuby already has a partial start on a DL that just uses FFI:

http://github.com/jruby/jruby/blob/master/lib/ruby/1.8/dl.rb

and

http://github.com/jruby/jruby/blob/master/lib/ruby/1.8/dl

A DL that uses FFI would work without modification or build hassles on
any impl+platform that supports FFI.

- Charlie