On 3/9/2010 12:20 PM, Aytug Gurbuz wrote:
> I write scripts under Linux using Ruby.
>
> It wouldn't matter releasing the code as long as the code is MINE.
> However, if I develop software for a company, and if a rival gets a hold
> of the code; you can consider me fired.
>
> So what are the options?
>
> I believe JRuby or IronRuby hide the code right? I haven't used these,
> so please inform me.
>
> What about Ruby2Exe? Is it any good? Would it please Windows users?
>
> What about closing the code in UNIX or Linux?
>
> Thanks!

I don't about Ruby2Exe, as I understand it, it's been replaced by OCRA,
which I've had good luck with. Of course, with both of them, it's not
going to be very difficult for someone with a little bit of knowledge to
extract the code.  Of course even technologies built on Java or .NET are
fairly easy to reverse with a little knowledge (Or written in C for that
matter).  I guess the real question is why in the world would you
release your code to a rival?  Suffice it to say, if you have someone
actively trying to steal your code, there is no programming language
that will stop them.  There are tools that can help make it more
difficult, but it's always possible by someone sufficiently knowledgeable.