Tom Reilly:
> I've never had any problem...

Awesome! Good to hear :-)

Ezra Zygmuntowicz:
> you would be better served using the 'thin' rack comat web
> server and using its async mode along with EM::HTTP::Request.

Thanks. I've been using Apache+Passenger because that's what I know, but
I will investigate Thin if it is indeed more scalable. Are you referring
to RAM usage when you say it's more scalable?

Richard Conroy:
> javascript ... you will want to set an aggressive timeout

This must happen server-side. But you're right about the timeouts. And
some searching has revealed Timeout::timeout() to me! It would appear
that:

resp_a = nil
thread_a = Thread.new{ Timeout::timeout(4){ resp_a = Net::HTTP.get
site_a }}
thread_a.join

will do what I need, so long as I catch exceptions, too. And again, I'm
still open to other suggestions if anyone else has any!