Bret Weinraub wrote:
> Basically this Ubuntu instance was running in Virtual Box on a Win7
> machine.  Now virtual box (like a lot of virtualization software)
> generally defaults to NAT (network address translation) for network
> connectivity.
>
> Switching to "Bridged" on the interface pretty much cleared up the
> problem; even though heavy network users like "apt-get" functioned just
> fine.  Whatever flakiness exists in the network only manifested itself
> with "gem install".  Bridged gives you a real address on your network,
> instead of your packets being rewritten by the "host" machine.
>
> I've seen of this with some VPN software; just will not function over a
> NAT-ed interface.  Switch to bridged, and its all good.
>
> Probably should be a bug report for rubygems; it won't run off a NAT-ed
> VM.

So, for me (and my students) who can't switch to bridged due to the
university's security policies, there basically is no solution? Wow.
This is killing me, new troubles every time I give this course. I
seriously must reconsider using Rails.

I suppose I could use aptitude to get an older Rails version, and do a
'gem freeze' for the application instead of upgrading Rails on the
server?