On Mar 8, 8:56=A0am, Aston <blackapache512-tic... / yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ruby.DL and FFI libraries are great for programmers like me who are not i=
nternet programmers, but are more interested in scientific and number proce=
ssing etc.

> I really like FFI, though I started with DL since at that time FFI won't =
build on windoz. Good part of DL is that it is part of standard libary, not=
 supported (fully) by JRuby though. FFI on the other hand has matured and i=
s available on windoz, greatest joy is same script will, in all probability=
 run across all implementations.

> recently few days back I saw some svn msgs suggesting that DL's dependenc=
y on libffi was removed, since libffi won't build on windoz (again!). so my=
 question is will DL in future be based on libffi ? why just not use FFI. I=
ts API and idea is very good and ruby like, against DL's idea of giving in =
C snippets to be interpreted by DL ?

FFI will build on Windows, so long as you're using mingw and gcc.
Actually, FFI won't build on any platform without gcc at the moment as
far as I know, so if you were thinking of building it with the Sun
Studio Compiler or the HP-UX compiler, for example, you're out of
luck.

DL, so far as I know, will build on any platform with any compiler.

Regards,

Dan