On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Brian Candler <b.candler / pobox.com> wrote:
> Bob Hutchison wrote:
>> Brian your http://github.com/candlerb/string19/blob/master/string19.rb
>> is something else! I'm laughing with a slightly hysterical edge.
>
> One has to laugh or cry. As best I could, I factored out my opinion of
> all this into a separate file:
> http://github.com/candlerb/string19/raw/47b0cba0a2047eca0612b4e24a540f011cf2cac3/soapbox.rb

This is exactly the situation I worried about when Matz proposed the
"all encodings" view of Ruby 1.9. Even though many applications won't
run into this, any that try to deal with >1 encoding at a time will
have a clusterfuck of a time making sure everything fits together. And
this is to say nothing of the implementation effort required, which
still isn't all there in JRuby (and won't be until 1.6 or later).

I didn't read this whole thread, since there's a lot of "it's a
bug/it's not a bug" exploration, but if there's something we need to
fix in JRuby, please do report it (and try to help fix it, too :)).

- Charlie