Yeah, 3 & 7 decide the nature of the chord. Ditch everything but that,
then add extensions (at least for the instruments that carry the
harmony). You took a better musical route; I learned jazz first so my
theory is good but my knowledge of the traditional ruleset is a bit
lacking.

Incidentally, I just tested my code on my other machine and got a
"warning: parenthesize argument(s) for future version"... I hope
there's no seachange in syntax on the way? I'm assuming this is just
for ambiguities?