--0015175884ca89d5810480c390e7

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2010, at 11:40 , Richard Conroy wrote:
>
> > Precompiled is pretty important in the context of what Shoes is for, but
> > would say that if the project is to have any successful
> > future, it probably needs to be installable via gems now.
>
> Huh? I thought shoes was its own ruby distro, which is why it doesn't use
> MRI-installed gems. Is this not the case?

My bad. Didn't explain what I meant. Shoes won't use gems from any other
installed Ruby runtime.

My point was that it would be a good option if we could install Shoes as a
regular gem into a regular MRI installation.
It has come up before and it is probably a ton of work. But it all depends
on who the Shoes user base is. It was targeted
at kids, but that needs a pretty serious non-coding support behind it, like
what the original HacketyHack site was about.
The non-target audience was the Ruby community, who want to do wierd things
like use Shoes for regular coding/work
tasks, so they need gem support and other normal ruby tasks.

For the first community, a simple installer makes more sense, that reduces
any setup roadblocks. For the second community,
integration with standard Ruby environments makes more sense.

Who is being served by Shoes now?

I guess those were the points I was trying to make (badly).

regards,
Richard.

--
http://richardconroy.blogspot.com