--000e0cd1e268c8ddce0480c26c7f

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2010, at 20:17 , Kurtis Rainbolt-greene wrote:
>
> > Ryan Davis wrote:
> >> Does any of that actually make the software less viable?
> >
> > Yes, actually. Software that isn't maintained or doesn't have an active
> > community can be a real pain at first and down right unusable later.
> >
> > For instance I had to really hunt to even find the download for the
> > precompiled version, and the tutorial.
>
> yes, well, that's what happens when the author up and disappears off the
> face of the earth taking everything he's made with him. I don't see that as
> relevant.
>
> Then again, if you're needing to look for the precompiled version, maybe
> you're setting a much lower bar than I am. *shrug*

Nobody Knows Shoes, the shoes book, is still being distributed. There is
also a tutorial integrated into the binary itself.

There's been enough said about the scorched earth policy _why took to his
own creations. At minimum it would have created
hell with pagerank and such. Documentation would now be a mess too. The team
made some tough choices like bundling their
own Ruby runtime, that made sense when they had a lot of contributers, that
are a bit high maintenance nowadays.

Precompiled is pretty important in the context of what Shoes is for, but I
would say that if the project is to have any successful
future, it probably needs to be installable via gems now.

It would probably be a good idea if the Shoes team link here, where the
official site is now, as well as where the binaries can be
downloaded.

--
http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

--000e0cd1e268c8ddce0480c26c7f--