--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:42:11AM +0900, John Pasqa wrote:
> yes thats what im trying to do, but i want to do it by having the user=20
> right-click> open with> my program that would hopefully give my program=
=20
> the directory of the file, which i could then use. as opposed to the way=
=20
> i have it now where they need to type in the filename. i read through=20
> the file section on ruby-doc, no help there.

How do you have the program written to take the path/filename now?  Have
you tried feeding it a filename as a command argument?  I'm wildly
guessing here, because I've never done what you're trying to do, but it
seems (intuitively, to me at least) like that should work.

For example, if you write your program such that this works:

    > progname filename.ext

=2E . . then it seems like double-clicking the file, when the filename
extension in question is associated with your program via MS Windows'
file type association mechanism, should automatically feed it to the
program just as it would be fed to the program as a command argument.
I'd think it would be worth a try.

If I was using an MS Windows system right this instant, I'd give it a try
just to make sure before offering the suggestion, but I figure it's worth
telling you my idea in case you get a chance to test it before I find
myself sitting in front of my XP test system.

--=20

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw--