Hi All,

I want to save data from a ruby script into a table in a PostGreSQL 8.4
database.

After looking into PostGreSQL connectivity in Ruby, I have come accross
the 'pg' gem.

I attempted to install the gem with the command: 'sudo gem install pg'
but got the following error:
sudo gem install pg
ERROR:  Error installing pg:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lpq... no
checking for main() in -llibpq... no
checking for main() in -lms/libpq... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
  --with-opt-dir
  --without-opt-dir
  --with-opt-include
  --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
  --with-opt-lib
  --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
  --with-make-prog
  --without-make-prog
  --srcdir=.
  --curdir
  --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
  --with-pg-dir
  --without-pg-dir
  --with-pg-include
  --without-pg-include=${pg-dir}/include
  --with-pg-lib
  --without-pg-lib=${pg-dir}/lib
  --with-pqlib
  --without-pqlib
  --with-libpqlib
  --without-libpqlib
  --with-ms/libpqlib
  --without-ms/libpqlib
Could not find PostgreSQL build environment (libraries & headers):
Makefile not created

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.8.0 for
inspection.
Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.8.0/ext/gem_make.out

Would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Saeed.