Perry Smith wrote:
> But the "fixed encoding" is a key part of the puzzle I was missing.
> Also, David, I had not bumped into the ENC_UTF8 constant yet.  There are
> quite a few constants (like the 16 pointed out by David also) is a flag
> to make the encoding "fixed".

16 is just Regexp::FIXEDENCODING

irb(main):001:0> Regexp::FIXEDENCODING
=> 16

In the 1.9.2 I have here (r24186, 2009-07-18) there is no
Regexp::ENC_UTF8, so it must be relatively new.

irb(main):002:0> Regexp::ENC_UTF8
NameError: uninitialized constant Regexp::ENC_UTF8
  from (irb):2
  from /usr/local/bin/irb192:12:in `<main>'
irb(main):003:0> Regexp.constants
=> [:IGNORECASE, :EXTENDED, :MULTILINE, :FIXEDENCODING]

As for the third arg to Regexp.new, I have no idea. Documentation is not
Ruby's strong point at the best of times, but it's nonexistent for the
encoding stuff.