Hi Brian and David,

Thanks.  I'm doing more experimenting and I'm also looking at the source
code.  I need to drag down the latest.  I'm looking at 1.9.1 p243 right
now.

Regexp.new has a third optional argument -- it is sorta described in the
Pick Axe book but the code looks wrong.  It can be either 'n' or 'xN'
where x can be anything.  Perhaps that is gone in the latest code.

But the "fixed encoding" is a key part of the puzzle I was missing.
Also, David, I had not bumped into the ENC_UTF8 constant yet.  There are
quite a few constants (like the 16 pointed out by David also) is a flag
to make the encoding "fixed".

The latest code that David posted answers exactly what my original
question was.  Thanks!