Wow, memprof is great stuff.

I have a case I don't really understand, though. (On 1.8.7-p249)

I have

<code>
Memprof.start # optionally
GC.start
<code>

Whether I have the Memprof.start call in there or not changes the =
results of GC.start. [GC.start should be a complete mark/sweep, =
shouldn't it?]

My context is Johnson, which is linking to Spidermonkey, the Mozilla JS =
interpreter. Johnson has C ext Ruby objects that are roots to =
Spidermonkey's GC. If I run GC.start w/o Memprof.start, it appears Ruby =
refs are getting through the GC and staying roots to Spidermonkey. =
Simply adding Memprof.start changes this: the GC.start does (apparently) =
free those roots.

I don't know that this is related to Memprof per-se: just happened to be =
what I was using. Is this simply stack shadowing, with Memprof dirtying =
the stack enough that Ruby doesn't see any false references?

I suppose I should try on REE ...=