Yes, the all passing test ran in the 0.48 sec posted above. For the most
part, I expect all to be passing, but I wanted to understand the range
of values.

The problem is I have more than 10k tests. I was just using that as a
relative benchmark.

Also, the 0.48 sec will go up when the comparison happens with complex
objects. This is sort of best case.

really the half second. What it's saying is that for 10k basic level
tests with all passing, it takes half a second. In our system we
integrate from a number of groups, and I was hoping to use Test::Unit as
a framework to verify all object relationships. It's not just the
Exceptions, there is something in Test::Unit that is taking more time
than it should, as the half second doesn't come close to the tenth of a
second of the class implementation. Both of those examples do not have
exceptions. I threw in the exceptions just to see what the worst case
was. In reality, we will have tests in the millions, so I'm better off
using a Class than Test::Unit, or creating my own Test::Unit.

Richard, thanks for the reference on Dust, I'll be sure to check it out.
My concern is that as a wrapper around Test::Unit, I'll end up with the
same performance issue as before.

That all being said, we are dealing with large object association that
are unique to our system. When we simulate our ASIC with vendor software
it takes approximately 100G of memory on a 64-bit system. I'm attempting
to build front end checks that would verify structure before the large
simulation occurs.

Thanks for all the help guys.