Yotta Meter wrote:
> The above would indicate that the problem is not with define_method, but
> rather the ability of Test::Unit to handle a large number of test cases.

A large number of *failing* test cases. What if you do

  def flunk
  end

or

  def flunk
    assert true
  end

?

> I couldn't get define_method going in a class to compare, it's a private
> method in Method, and I really don't understand the Method rdoc example
> using send.

  class Foo
    define_method ...
  end

should work fine. If you have an existing Class object you can also do

  Foo.class_eval { define_method ... }

> Is there some sort of optimization in Test::Unit that I need to set?
> Seems like something is really wrong, where is all this time going?

Rescuing exceptions perhaps. I thought you said that you expected most
of your tests to pass, and only a few to fail?