On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Benedikt Mller <benemue / googlemail.com>wrote:

> 2010/2/22 Alexander Jesner <alexander / jesner-edv.at>:
> > On 02/22/2010 20:30, Benedikt Mller wrote:
> >> Ruby is not the fastest interpreted language out there.
> > If you have not already done so, switch to Ruby 1.9.
> Done, and I know that there are improvements. But it's not enough :)
>
> --
> Gru, Benedikt
>
> If you really want speed check out JRuby or MacRuby.  From what I
understand they are usually a version behind regular Ruby but you have the
power of the JVM.  I agree with speeding Ruby up to the credit of the core
team they did make an effort on the last release.  I do think there are a
few other options. (Don't get me wrong I am not opposed to the speed sprints
I just wanted to present other options)  As far as I know the Ruby runtime
is missing lookahead ability.  If that is correct adding lookahead could
give the runtime a huge performance boost.  Another alternative to asking
the Ruby core team to do these sprints we could profile, make changes, and
submit the commits (and test cases) ourselves.  I have never worked on open
source project before, but I am speaking with someone about how to get
involved and be a productive active member.  It takes more than I originally
thought.

--
Randy