Ron Foster wrote:

> You might take a look at SizedQueue. There's a good description of it in
> "The Ruby Programming Language" book.

Thanks, I will check that out...

> I did notice, as forwarned, that the performance degraded after a while
> using the native ruby threads. If you're on Windows, though, you might
> give IronRuby a fling (or Jruby if it's installed). Those switch over to
> their framework's Thread classes, and worked very well.

Given the reasonable amount of tasks I expect to handle, some
degradation may be acceptable... but I may test with IronRuby or JRuby
anyway just for the experience. :-)

The thing that has held me back with both to this point has be the lack
of support for native gems or suitable alternatives to the ones I
need... RMagick, in particular.

Thanks for the tips!
Tim