On 02/17/2010 06:22 PM, Pierre Morel wrote:

> We have written a small client-server program in c/socket. To launch the
> server, we call the program which internally fork. The original process
> returns immediately but the forked process stays alive and listen to
> incoming socket connection.
> It's all fine when running this from bash (we're on ubuntu) but when
> using ruby (with either system, backtick or #x) it's blocking until both
> the original process and the forked process terminate.
>
> Is it what we should expect when calling system? If yes, how could we
> work around that?

Hmmm, might be that you have an issue because your child's child is
attached to your ruby process once the starter process stops.  There is
a whole range of other possible issues causing this which is hard to
sort out given the little information we have.  Did you take proper
measures to demonize your child process after fork?

Kind regards

	robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/