Thomas Sawyer wrote:
> On Feb 16, 11:41?am, James Coplien <jcopl... / gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hard, and it will take a while to unlearn old ways and to learn new.
> No matter how hard anew paradigms is, it must still be taught.

No. I was a professional educator for several years. One thing you find
in the theories of education is that though many things can be learned,
only some of them can be taught ??? in the normal Western application of
the word "teaching."

The normal model of education, as described by educators like Piaget, is
to move from the known to the unknown. The essence of a paradigm shift,
according to Kuhn, is that the new paradigm is irreconcilable with the
old. I think that's what we're faced with here. As such, I think the
best way to learn is through practice.

Furthermore, I think it is better to think of DCI as a community effort
to explore a new space, working with each other, than to have the Master
"instruct" the newbies. It is true that Trygve and I have about ten
years of thought about this, and we're happy to relate our experiences.
That's why I'm here ??? to give. That's why Trygve has published so many
reports and why we published a joint report on Artima. That's why I have
spent the past three years writing a book on this (and related) topics.
Learning this will take hard work: don't expect to be spoon-fed.