On 17/2/2010 11:17 AM, Alex DeCaria wrote:
> I want to try out Ruby 1.9, but don't want to go whole hog since I have
> a lot of programs that run just fine with 1.8.  I also use RMagick,
> which seems not to work with 1.9 yet.
>
> Can I have both versions of Ruby installed in the Windows environment,
> but have 1.8 be the default for running Ruby programs?  Are there any
> tricks or tips for doing this?  I'm worried about conflict/errors that
> may arise.

When I asked a very similar question, the response I got from Phillip
Gawlowski was:

Just download and install 1.9 from rubyinstaller.org. It installs Ruby
1.9 in its own directory by default, so that 1.8.x and 1.9 can coexist
happily.
You can then install pik, for example (gem install pik), which allows
you to switch Ruby interpreters (for one console session only) on the
fly, and you can run your tests.
This, sans pik, is my own setup, and it works rather well.

...and it works great for me so far.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mohit.