Evan Dorn <public / idahoev.com> wrote:

> Bret Weinraub wrote:
> > I've managed to get some progress (I can actually install a gem) if I
> > specify --ignore-dependencies.
>

> Interesting, I may have to try that.
>
> I did in fact get gems working just by using Apple's pre-install Ruby
> and Gems.

Well, that's a good sign! I'm glad you tried my suggestion on this,
since at least it proves there's nothing wrong with the machine per se.
It must be something about that secondary Ruby installation you did.

> I couldn't do that with 10.5, because the pre-installed Ruby was 1.8.6
> rather than 1.8.7, and I had compatibility problems with some of my
> plugins under 1.8.6.  But so far it's working for Snow Leopard.
>
> It's frustrating, though, that building my own Ruby would cause such a
> problem.  It works just fine on on my desktop (Mac Pro) - it's only on
> the laptop where it's been a problem.

It is mysterious. I do have one other suggestion. I just found out about
RVM. This is has the tremendous advantage that it does all the heavy
lifting and sets up the *entire* Ruby environment for a secondary
version totally independently. Might be worth a try.

http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/install/

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt / tidbits.com <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!