Evan Dorn wrote:
> For a couple weeks, I haven't been able to install any gems on my
> MacBook Pro.  I got so fed up with it that I eventually even wiped and
> reinstalled the drive and OS ... and the problem hasn't gone away.
> 
> Here's what happens when I try to install a gem (with verbose debugger
> output).   Here I've used gemcutter, but this happens with every gem.
> 
> [code]
> mbp:~ evan$ sudo gem install --verbose --debug gemcutter
> Password:
> Exception `NameError' at
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/command_manager.rb:161 -
> uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
> Exception `Gem::LoadError' at
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827 - Could not find
> RubyGem test-unit (>= 0)
> 
> Exception `Gem::LoadError' at
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827 - Could not find
> RubyGem sources (> 0.0.1)
> 
> GET 302 Found: http://gems.rubyforge.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
> GET 200 OK: http://production.s3.rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
> GET 302 Found:
> http://gems.rubyforge.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/gemcutter-0.3.0.gemspec.rz
> GET 200 OK:
> http://production.s3.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/gemcutter-0.3.0.gemspec.rz
> GET 302 Found:
> http://gems.rubyforge.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/json_pure-1.2.0.gemspec.rz
> GET 200 OK:
> http://production.s3.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/json_pure-1.2.0.gemspec.rz
> Installing gem json_pure-1.2.0
> Downloading gem json_pure-1.2.0.gem
> GET 302 Found: http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/json_pure-1.2.0.gem
> [/code]
> 
> Here's gem env:
> 
> [code]
> mbp:~ evan$ gem env
> RubyGems Environment:
>   - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
>   - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2009-12-24 patchlevel 248) [i686-darwin10.0.0]
>   - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>   - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby
>   - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/local/bin
>   - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
>     - ruby
>     - x86-darwin-10
>   - GEM PATHS:
>      - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>      - /Users/evan/.gem/ruby/1.8
>   - GEM CONFIGURATION:
>      - :update_sources => true
>      - :verbose => true
>      - :benchmark => false
>      - :backtrace => false
>      - :bulk_threshold => 1000
>   - REMOTE SOURCES:
>      - http://gems.rubyforge.org/
> [/code]
> 
> 
> Here's what I've installed on this computer:
> 1) Fresh wipe of HD
> 2) Install Snow Leopard
> 3) Install Apple Developer tools / xcode
> 4) Install textmate and Path Finder
> 5) Install Ruby and Rubygems exactly as per hivelogic:
>    http://hivelogic.com/articles/compiling-ruby-rubygems-and-rails-on-snow-leopard/
> 6) Install mysql as per hivelogic:
>    http://hivelogic.com/articles/compiling-mysql-on-snow-leopard/
> 
> That's it.    Attempted to gem install gemcutter and gem install mysql
> and got the errors shown above.
> 
> The ruby process hangs and shows in top as "sleeping", using 0.3% of
> CPU.   I've let it sit there for at least 30 minutes with no change.
> 
> Any suggestions?

Hey me too!  I've been through a maze of a 1000 twisty passages; all 
alike.

RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i486-linux]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /var/lib/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby1.8
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-linux
  - GEM PATHS:
     - /var/lib/gems/1.8
     - /root/.gem/ruby/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org/

gem --debug install ruby-debug
Exception `NameError' at 
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/command_manager.rb:161 - uninitialized 
constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
Exception `Gem::LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827 - Could 
not find RubyGem test-unit (>= 0)

Exception `Gem::LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827 - Could 
not find RubyGem sources (> 0.0.1)

Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - No 
such file or directory - /root/.gem/specs/gems.rubyforge.org%80
Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - No 
such file or directory -
Exception `Errno::EEXIST' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - File 
exists - /root
Exception `Errno::EEXIST' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - File 
exists - /root/.gem
Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - No 
such file or directory - 
/root/.gem/specs/gems.rubyforge.org%80/quick/Marshal.4.8
Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - No 
such file or directory -
Exception `Errno::EEXIST' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - File 
exists - /root
Exception `Errno::EEXIST' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - File 
exists - /root/.gem
Exception `Errno::EEXIST' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - File 
exists - /root/.gem/specs
Exception `Errno::EEXIST' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - File 
exists - /root/.gem/specs/gems.rubyforge.org%80
Exception `Errno::EEXIST' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - File 
exists - /root/.gem/specs/gems.rubyforge.org%80/quick/Marshal.4.8
Exception `Errno::EEXIST' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243 - File 
exists - /root/.gem/specs/gems.rubyforge.org%80
Exception `#<Class:0xb650d708>' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:60 - 
execution expired
Exception `Timeout::Error' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:74 - 
execution expired
Exception `Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError' at 
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_fetcher.rb:170 - timed out 
(http://gems.rubyforge.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/ruby-debug-base-0.10.3.gemspec.rz)
Exception `Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError' at 
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:76 - timed out 
(http://gems.rubyforge.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/ruby-debug-base-0.10.3.gemspec.rz)
-- 
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.