Also,  to Josh:

I know I attrociously used the word "digit"  in the title, and I think
once or twice in my initial post.   I just wanted to make sure  it was
understood I meant  "letter"  as in a 5 letter pattern.    Since you
also spoke of digits I'm unsure if your  code example as provided
would only work on  actual alphanumeric digits,  or would work on
characters to?.

I should have better proof read, so that's my fault.
Also wanted to mention,  I noticed the  word  "permutation"  which
reminded me of something.    Just before  I discovered I in fact did
not have Ruby installed (but oddly I have RubyMine 2.0 installed)  I
came across a  function (or something of the sort)  called permutate
or something close to that,  via googling.

I saw a very basic one or two line  example where a range of 3 letters
was given, equal to abc (I forgot how it was written)  and it pretty
much spat out  all the combos of those 3 letters.

I'm wondering if I made a big stink about nothing with my post now, if
there is a gem out there I could get,  heh.

-Zach