On 2010-02-13, Zach Bartels <no / spam.com> wrote:
> I think I can work out the program itself.   But I am looking for a
> quick and easy way to generate every possible 5 digit combination of
> the letters " C" and "N"  so I have the database I need to compare
> each 5 frame segment.

That sounds like five bits.

Consider, then, using bit operations.  Imagine that you have numbers from
0 to 31.  Each number must have a unique pattern of bits, and a total of
five bits.  So...
	0	00000	CCCCC
	1	00001	CCCCN
	2	00010	CCCNC
	3	00011	CCCNN
	31	11111	NNNNN

The question is, how do we turn a number into a set of binary digits?  One
way would be:
	def letter(val, pos)
	  (val & (2 << pos)) ? 'N' : 'C'
	end

So that:
	letter(16, 0) => 'C'
	letter(16, 1) => 'C'
	letter(16, 2) => 'C'
	letter(16, 3) => 'C'
	letter(16, 4) => 'N'

So 16 => NCCCC.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam / seebs.net