Hi,

In message "Some potential RCRs"
    on 02/03/13, "Bob Alexander" <bobalex / attbi.com> writes:
|------------------
|"p" method should return its last argument, unconverted.

Hmm.  I'd like to hear others' opinion.

|------------------
|A format specification in "printf"-type formats that inserts the result of applying "inspect" to the
|argument.
|
|E.g. "Value of x: %r\n" % x.

Sounds good, but I'm not sure whether %r is good or not.  Maybe it's
too ambiguous.  We should be quite conservative about non traditional
(and perhaps non intuitive) mnemonic.

|------------------
|A "println" method.
|
|Would work just like "print" but would tack on a newline. Yeah, I know it doesn't seem much different than
|just coding "\n" as a final parameter, but I find "println" more pleasing and more self-describing

How much omitting the last "\n" might buy you?

|------------------
|String#count should also accept Regexp as argument.
|
|Would extend the power of this method.

Define the exact behavior.  Something like "str.scan(re).size"?
If so, it might make the "count" method kinda double meaning.

|------------------
|Dir methods that produce directory entries should never produce "." and "..".
|I see no use in producing "." and "..", and it is a nuisance having to explicitly filter them out (usually
|after forgetting to do it and getting a program error!) Also, seems a tad non-portable.

I'd like to hear others' opinion about this issue too.

|------------------
|The built-in Mutex object should be nestable.
|
|Acquiring a mutex in nested contexts in the same thread should not cause deadlock. It doesn't seem
|appropriate for a language at Ruby's level to have a non-nestable Mutex, and it is a pothole for program
|errors.

I will take time to investigate it later (I'm not a thread expert).
Maybe one of you help me with better implementation.

|A "message" parameter for "abort".
|
|Coding
|
|    abort("the program did something bad")
|
|would print the message before terminating.

Sounds good.  It will be in 1.7 soon.

							matz.