Robert Klemme wrote:
> Well, you can even have a mix of both: you can set RUBYLIB to your
> "shared libs" folder and then in every main executable add an
> appropriate folder of your local project.  And we're back to the
> original question IIRC. :-)  If you have to do that on multiple
> machines though then it might be reasonable to use gems for
> distribution and use the gems mechanism as storage for the shared
> libs. But the principle would be the same.

Hi Robert, I just wanted to thank you once again for your advice.  I
created a custom libs folder yesterday and moved a lot of source code
with regard to public instance methods for the main gui objects I work
with.  It took some time to set it all up, but it's working great.  I
even created a rake task that pulls in the shared lib documentation for
classes I'm using in the project so that it's also built with my app.

The only special event I did with my main lib folder was set an absolute
lib path:

$lib_path = __FILE__

.. so that when I do have to use load methods from the RUBYLIB location,
the file path can still be maintained for the working project directory.

def set_icon_file(path, *file)
  icon_file = File.join(File.dirname(path), file)
  set_icon Wx::Icon.new(icon_file, Wx::BITMAP_TYPE_ICO)
end

and I can then use set_icon_file($lib_path, "icons", "test.ico")

.. so everything is working fine now with regard to using my custom libs
with my project libs.  I'm only placing methods and classes that will
absolutely be marked as reusable code.

My thanks again.