On Jan 31, 2010, at 12:50 AM, Alpha Blue wrote:
> I was only providing a list in answer to Pharrington.  Call it Saturday
> night satire.  I think I provided most, if not all operating systems
> that won't accept a forward slash via path.. but I could have missed one
> or two.  But, no need to respond to this bit. :)

The important item that I don't think has been mentioned in this
thread is that the Ruby runtime is responsible for converting
forward slash separated paths to the appropriate format for the
underlying OS.  So in the statement:

	require "foo/baz"

The string is an abstract representation of a relative path.  When
Ruby eventually has to touch the filesystem it may have to convert
that path into "foo\baz.rb" or maybe "node:[directory]baz.rb".

The point is that the programmer shouldn't have to worry about
all that in most cases.

Gary Wright