Ryan Davis wrote:
> uh... wuh?

I was only providing a list in answer to Pharrington.  Call it Saturday
night satire.  I think I provided most, if not all operating systems
that won't accept a forward slash via path.. but I could have missed one
or two.  But, no need to respond to this bit. :)

> OK. Stop. Let's just stop right there. you obviously overlooked the part
> where I said SANE.

Everyone makes mistakes, especially programmers that are still in
transition.  I've accidentally done the exact thing I described and it
happens.  I'm sure you did the same thing or something similar as you
started programming with ruby.  My issue is that I've worked in several
other languages, so I try to learn the best practices, which is why I
posted this question here.  Right now, for me, it seemed best to make
sure I used a failsafe relative path in case my code turned out to not
be sane.

I'm a very easy going guy and I love to learn.  I am working with WxRuby
right now and at the moment, even though I like the feel of the library,
I find the way it interacts with classes cumbersome.  I'm trying to
design my own project template so that I can use it for base projects
going forward.

You have me pegged wrong.  I see what you are saying, but apparently
we're speaking from within two different paradigms.