Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

> That's unnecessary.  gem will automatically install in ~/.gems if it
> can't install system gems.

Okay, so I removed the GEM_HOME and GEM_PATH specifications in my
.bashrc, made sure the environment variables were no longer set, and ran
'gem environment' and 'jruby -S gem environment'. Both still show the
same gem paths... :(

Is there a reason why jruby doesn't use
'/usr/local/lib/jruby-1.3.1/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/' for storing gems
installed using jruby? I never told it not to, but I never told it to
either, so I'm not sure what the normal process is.