Gregory Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser
> <marnen / marnen.org> wrote:

>>> Git handles subprojects, sure... but it's arguable whether it does
>>> them *well* :)
>>
>> Is git submodule really any worse than svn external?
>
> When things get complicated, yes.  Google around for some of the
> problems.
>
>> I'm not meaning to be a militant fanboy. The couple of times I've gone
>> back to Subversion after starting to work with Git have convinced me
>> that I never want to work with Subversion again.
>
> Likewise, but that's mainly because I have a lot of needs that Git
> meets.  Otherwise, it might not be so important which one I choose.

It's still important.  The typical Subversion user never realizes the
full potential of branching because Subversion makes merging so hard.

> I know a lot of really smart Rubyists that still have this hangup
> where they don't get git.   I don't know why that is, but personally,
> I rather them use svn than hear them constantly complain about how
> "unintuitive" git is.

I would say the opposite.  I didn't get Git for a long time.  I only get
it now because I heard enough good things about it that I sort of forced
myself to use it.

> I do agree on your point that there are a lot of incentives for using
> Git in open source, though.
>
> -greg

Best,
--