On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:24:38PM +0900, Vladimir Dozen wrote:
>   The problem is that directory with all these files looks a bit
>   messy; in Java, I would create JAR-archive and put all files there;
>   thus, I could distribute single file. Java can load classes directly
>   from JAR.
>
>   Can I get matching or similar feature with Ruby?

It's not equivalent, but check rpkg in recent posts or by downloading
http://www.allruby.com/rpkg/rpkg-0.3.tar.gz.  It is a Debian-like
packaging system that greatly simplifies download and installation of
packages.  This is an unofficial release, I plan to release the
official one (along with a starting collection of packages available
for download) in a few days.

HTH
Massimiliano