On Jan 25, 2010, at 15:58 , John Barnette wrote:

> Or perhaps a gem that, given, a MIDI file with a melody in it,
> generates the source for ANOTHER gem that'll sing the melody. Ready,
> go! First person to write this gets bought drinks by at least two
> members of Seattle.rb at the next RubyConf.

The original idea that I got this from was an article in Communications of the ACM called "Siren Songs" (iirc). The idea was more along the lines of "Peter and the Wolf" where each thread (or process, or AST node type, or or) has its own musical theme. That way you can start using ear to differentiate who's doing what. You can then end up debugging just by listening and using our pattern matching skills to notice that something went divergent. You can even tell WHAT went divergent by using themed music.

I think it is a great idea. Something pretty easy to do with ruby_parser + ruby2ruby + some actual midi skills. In case you can't tell, I'm good with the first two, and suck on the last one. :)