The follows are ruby-dev summaries.
This work will join RubyGarden after a few weeks.

[ruby-dev:16134] Defining (Python) Source Code Encoding

  Masayoshi Takahashi asks if we define the source code encoding using
  "-*- coding: <encoding> -*-" as follows:

    #!/usr/bin/ruby
    # -*- coding: <encoding name> -*-

  In case we enter above lines in our code, ruby will choose the specified
  encoding. This is the discussion around:

    PEP 0263
      http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0263.html

  in the python community:

    Python-Dev
      http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-February/thread.html#20350

  Nobu Nakada posts a patch in [ruby-dev:16188] to implement the idea.
  (*) This patch have not been merged yet.

  The similar idea has been also proposed by Koji Arai in ruby-dev before.
  This idea, to specify the encoding at the first line, is however not
  recommended because of some restrictions for #!.

[ruby-dev:16138] Hash implementation

  Naoyuki Morita writes "Hash seems to lose its efficiency if its size get
  bigger than 1000 since table->num_bins is initialized by 11.".
  However, since it can be dynamically extended, the efficiency seems to be
  independent of table->num_bins.

[ruby-dev:16154] : and ::

  Hara Shinichiro writes "How about changing operator priorities of : and ::
  to obtain a value of "Foo::Bar".intern by :Foo::Bar?".
  Matz doesn't agree with this suggestion since both of the string "Foo::Bar"
  and the symbol "Foo::Bar" doesn't have a relation to an expression Foo::Bar.

[ruby-dev:16159] autoload

  Matz writes "I'd like to discard the autoload mechanism.".
  He think that checking the fallback is needed before retrieving a constant
  of a parent class whenever we use a constant, and the cost of checking isn't
  negligible.
  Akihiko Morohoshi proposes another idea with a patch in [ruby-dev:16165].
  That is to substitute a dummy object instread of a target object. When we
  obtain the dummy object using rb_const_get(), the autoload is executed.

[ruby-dev:16196] Oni Guruma imported into our repository

  Musha Akinori commits "Oni Guruma" into the cvs repository.
  (*) "Oni Guruma" is another regular expression library mentioned
      in [ruby-dev:16070].
--
Takaaki Tateishi <ttate / kt.jaist.ac.jp>