Oops, I missed this message when I was reading the other replies.

I'm running 1.8.7 on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). When I installed Macports
and then installed a newer Ruby than is on OS X 10.4 it set me up with
1.8.7. I renamed the old 10.4 ruby so it doesn't run anymore when I type
ruby.

I'd like to run Rails, and especially Spree e-commerce.

Should both of them and all the various gems and/or plugins they require
work OK with Ruby 1.9, and if so, how do I even install it with Macports
(the only way I'm comfortable installing things) if I already asked it
for Ruby and it gave me 1.8.7... ?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help getting up and running. :)